caravantalk icon

What to do if you have an accident on the road with your caravan (or motorhome)

If you have an accident whilst you are touring with your motorhome (or caravan), it can be a scary experience and a situation that you might never have been in before. Knowing exactly what to do if you are in an accident will help to prepare you and make a bad situation slightly easier. You should always do thorough checks of your vehicle before setting off on any trips and get it regularly serviced, especially before going on long journeys to help prevent problems that can lead to accidents.


Here is what you should do if you are involved in an accident:


Check everyone’s safety first


If you have an accident, the first priority is to check whether anyone has been injured and also make sure your vehicle is not going to cause another accident if you are able to, you should move it to a safer place. Putting hazard lights on straight away should make other road users aware that you are there so that they can slow down in time. Also, make sure that the engine is switched off and then get all passengers out of the vehicle (and any others involved) and moved to somewhere safe.


Contact emergency services


If you are travelling to any country abroad, you should make sure that you know how to contact emergency services. From a mobile phone, calling 112 takes you to the emergency call centre for the country that you are currently in. Fortunately, in 21 of the 28 member states of the EU, you are able to get assistance in English. If you’re not abroad, you will still need to contact the emergency services.


Report the accident


In the UK, any accidents where a person or certain animals have been injured, the accident must be reported to the police. If another vehicle has been damaged, you must exchange insurance details with the other party and provide your reg, name and address but you are not legally required to report to police if there are no injuries.


Contact your insurer


You should always have your insurance details, such as policy number and number to call, saved somewhere you can easily find them when you are touring. Call your insurer to explain the situation, providing any third party’s details that were provided at the scene of the accident. It often helps to take photos of the damage, and even the accident scene (if it is safe to do so), to help with your insurance claim.


Recovery and repairs


If your caravan (or motorhome) is not safe to drive following the accident, then your insurer will arrange for a recovery company to pick up the vehicle and take it to be repaired. You should check your policy details, as most policies will cover costs such as transport and overnight accommodation whilst your vehicle is being repaired. Every insurer operates differently, so check whether there are any limits related to the costs covered. If only minor repairs are required, you may be able to continue your trip, so it will depend on whether the vehicle repairs can be completed quickly enough. Otherwise, you may need to travel home and wait for your caravan (or motorhome) to be delivered back to you once the repairs are complete.


These are the standard requirements if you are involved in an accident but if you are travelling abroad, you should check if there are any different requirements for the country you are in.


A breakdown is something we all want to avoid but being prepared can make a stressful situation a lot easier to deal with! For more tips and useful advice like this, follow us on our social media accounts:

Facebook  Twitter


british manufacturerAll our covers are designed and manufactured in-house in Bradford, West Yorkshire by Pro-Tec Covers Ltd. None of our caravan or motorhome covers are outsourced. Our material, CaravanShield, has been exclusively developed in the UK and we are proud to say that it continues to be manufactured  here in the UK